If this is true, I’m going to die laughing.
there’s bazillions of non-canonical gospels that all have zany things in them this isn’t……………what you think it is probably?
Breaking: Tumblr Literally Shocked to Learn that Gnosticism Was a Thing, Thinks Church Didn’t Know This
This was taught by some Islamic scholars… Not exactly shocking to hear a book that says it. I’m sure the Vatican is totally in awe 😂
1. The news is at least two years old: http://www.todayszaman.com/news-272334-1500-year-old-handwritten-bible-kept-in-ankara-ministry-confirms.html
2. The earlier story says the book was found in an unknown location and seized by the Turkish authorities, but that they are certain it’s genuine.It therefore has no clear archaeological context, but it’s being claimed to be genuine, and given a dating without an open scholarly investigation. This here is what we in the profession call “bullshit”.
3. Those biblical scholars who have taken a look at it are pretty well certain it’s a fake: http://www.timothymichaellaw.com/not-a-1500-year-old-bible-in-turkey/
4. Tehram isn’t a place. Tehran is, and is the capital of Iran. Their relevance to a book found in Turkey is dubious at best. Their relevance to a supposed Christian gospel found in Turkey is highly dubious.
6. The Gospel of Barnabas is a well-known medieval or early modern pseudepigraphical work. It is otherwise known from two manuscripts, one in Spanish, one in Italian. It can be found in English translation (first published 1907) here: http://sacred-texts.com/isl/gbar/index.htm ; it has a wikipedia page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Barnabas . The section entitled “possible Syriac manuscripts” contains another scholarly opinion that this book is a fake, and does not even contain the Gospel of Barnabas.
7. Apocryphal gospels are nothing new, exciting, or challenging. The 18th century ended a long time ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocryphal_Gospel .
So, tumblr, 10/10 for gullibility, but minus several zillion for intellect, knowledge, and gumption. Well done, you fell for the hype.
Edited to add:
8. A couple of people further down the thread have already linked to the La Stampa article on this: http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/world-news/detail/articolo/bibbia-bible-biblia-13182/ , and also to a debunking based on the Italian and Spanish manuscripts: http://www.apologia.50megs.com/Gospel%20of%20Barnabas.html , which points to some reasons to say that the Gospel of Barnabas is a late medieval work.
9. Believe what you will, but abusing your own intellect with lazy, smug approaches to sensationalist news stories which confirm your preferred set of beliefs is not rational, sensible, or justifiable. In the end, it is to betray yourself by allowing yourself to be misled. Follow the truth wherever it leads you, but stuff like this is an insult to your own intellect, first and foremost.